western north carolina morels

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by heyu, Mar 22, 2017.

1. heyu420

heyu420 Young Morel

Went out this morning did ok some blacks and yellows.2200ft

2. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Took my 5 yr old grandson for a short walk today along a creek that runs behind his home. He found is 1st today. 11 small yellow/greys that just popped. 2200 ft elevation in Asheville. Left them to grow for a few days.

3. heyu420

heyu420 Young Morel

4. heyu420

heyu420 Young Morel

That's cool took my son out found one small blond left it to grow.ive been fining around young sycamore and hickory

5. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Hit a couple of spots today near Asheville and the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Searched terrain features that produce for me in KY but no luck. Searched from 2100-2400 ft elevation. East/North facing hills consisting of poplar, oak and pine. Not a lot of hickory in the areas I checked. Picked a few of the ones I found Monday. They had at least tripled in size.

6. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Went to my favorite spot 4/14 that had producing yellows. Found another 25 that had grown a lot since last weekend. Looks as if the yellows are about done for the year. Checked another spot at higher elevation and found a nice patch of blacks that had just come up. This spot had snow on the ground last weekend. This spot also produces a lot of the smaller deliciosa morels, saw a few tiny ones. Hopefully some rain this week will help get them popping.

7. heyu420

heyu420 Young Morel

Yes if you pick it except flowers don't pick flowers.you don't need a permit but if you dig it you need a permit I find them near creeks sycamore hickory torn bushes ditch lines

8. high planes drifter

high planes drifter Young Morel

Found half a dozen yellows on the trails around Warren Wilson College. Been out looking several times in this area and these are the first ones I've found, growing @2200ft. elevation on a north-facing slope above a creek near a large dead tree. With the rain this week, this weekend is just about peak time to go out hunting, conditions will be ideal.

9. griff28657

griff28657 Young Morel

went this evening in avery county near grandfather mtn found a few nice ones and some smaller ones. should be great in the next week or so!

10. David K

David K Young Morel

Took my son and found some yesterday....Catawba County, growing under Hickory, Sycamore and Beech.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Went back to my higher elevation spot to check for the smaller "tulip" morels. Found a couple and be the time I was done in a small 1 acre area, I came home with a total of 110. The are only a couple of inches tall, but the sure do taste great. I have been told that there scientific name is "deliciosa" and I agree.

12. Morelz

Morelz Young Morel

Hey trowe, do the the smaller tulip morels come up first before the larger ones? Found some tulip morels around 4000 ft. Wondering if the bigger ones will come out on the hills where the tulips were.

13. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

My experience has been that the tulip morels are the last of the season. A week before I started finding the tulips, I picked a number of blacks in the same spot. I did also find 1 large old yellow in the same area. My guess is that it had been growing for about 2 weeks.

14. Morelz

Morelz Young Morel

I found some larger grays and yellows at the bottom of the hill, but climbing a few hundred feet up, the tulips were just coming up. Odd, I thought the larger ones moved up in elevation as the season progressed. Hopefully with all this cool rain, we'll get a bumper crop.

15. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Another good weekend at higher elevation. Found over 150 tulip morels in the same spot as the previous weekend. Rain today and cooler temps might add another weekend.

16. juanitohortoni

juanitohortoni Morel Enthusiast

Found a bunch (> 200) late last week at around 3500ft. Hoping this rain and cool temperatures pop some more out!

17. katamount

katamount Morel Enthusiast

Found some near the Town Mountain Rd entrance to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Lots of poplar trees there. Be wary of poison ivy.

18. katamount

katamount Morel Enthusiast

I'd love to go hunting with you, if you are planning another hunt this coming weekend!

19. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Crazy to hear you all still picking that far south. I'm sure the elevation is the key. I noticed when I was in western Carolina @ 4/10 that the vegetation was markedly different from 2000-4000 ft. How high are you finding these now? My son is moving to the Arden area this month and I hope to visit and do some picking in the mountains next year. Season has been over for 2 weeks here in KY.

20. avianchris

avianchris Young Morel

I checked out Nantahala Gorge last week, nothing, although I am new to this Morel Madness. My neighborhood at 3200 feet in Jackson did not produce either. Any suggestions out my way?