Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

western north carolina morels

20K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  avianchris 
#1 ·
Morels can almost taste them....

#31 ·
Went back to my higher elevation spot to check for the smaller "tulip" morels. Found a couple and be the time I was done in a small 1 acre area, I came home with a total of 110. The are only a couple of inches tall, but the sure do taste great. I have been told that there scientific name is "deliciosa" and I agree.

#33 ·
My experience has been that the tulip morels are the last of the season. A week before I started finding the tulips, I picked a number of blacks in the same spot. I did also find 1 large old yellow in the same area. My guess is that it had been growing for about 2 weeks.

#39 ·
Crazy to hear you all still picking that far south. I'm sure the elevation is the key. I noticed when I was in western Carolina @ 4/10 that the vegetation was markedly different from 2000-4000 ft. How high are you finding these now? My son is moving to the Arden area this month and I hope to visit and do some picking in the mountains next year. Season has been over for 2 weeks here in KY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.