Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board but not new to the mushroom world. I've been studying and hunting mushrooms for a long time and so thought I'd share some of the cool mushroom photos that I've taken over the years.

A Very Pretty Black Trumpet

The Very Elusive Craterellus (Foetidus I Believe), A Black Chanterelle!

A Nice Pile of Black Trumpets

Black Trumpets Are Hard To Spot!

Craterellus Species

Trumpets Hiding In Poison Ivy

Russulas in Alaska

More To Come...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Boletus And Leccinum

Leccinum Insigne

Amanita Muscaria Var. Alaska Emerging

Hail To The King! Bolete

The King Emerging

Leccinum Scabrum (Birch Bolete)

Sand Amanita on Cow Poop

Gymnopilus Palmicola (I believe)

More To Come...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WesternMN, when do you harvest trumpets? Early with morels or later?
Later, much later. I've only found them in the hottest part of the summer when the moisture is right. Lots of mosquitos. In the same places that I find chanterelles, mixed deciduous woodland. They seem to be pretty common but they're extremely hard to spot. I've found them in grassy openings, parks and deep in the woods. Seems like the deeper and darker woods grow them larger and thicker while the ones found in grassy, sunny areas are generally smaller and thinner.

·
Registered
650 Posts
@WesternMN nevermind i dont know what i was thinking im exhausted from long day in woods i was thinking devils cup the pic of the one in poison ivy resembles those

·
Registered
161 Posts
@WesternMN nevermind i dont know what i was thinking im exhausted from long day in woods i was thinking devils cup the pic of the one in poison ivy resembles those
Actually, @elmgirl, if you are referring to "devils urn", they aren't poisonous despite their name, just very tough and leathery and not very flavorful. Black trumpets are a summer mushroom and don't have a poisonous look-alike. That being said, anyone should always consult an expert before consuming any mushroom they are not positive of identification.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts