Featured What do I have here?!?!

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by Hopsturgeon, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Hopsturgeon

Hopsturgeon Young Morel

I think it is a morel, but they grow out of a ball..... hollow center. Smells great. Nutty. Side of my yard.... the ball is pictured and the "cup" left after picking..... please help identify!!! Thanks! Kev

Attached Files:

2. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

3. Hopsturgeon

Hopsturgeon Young Morel

I agree with your assessment once I looked them up. Good call. Now. Are they edible? These ones smell amazing! Like roasted nuts. Open to any opinion. And thanks. Kev

4. mattolsen

mattolsen Morel Enthusiast

I've read that some species of stinkhorns are edible but I don't know if I'd chance it. It'd definitely a stinkhorn, though I'm not sure about species id. They're definitely not a species that anyone, that I've heard of, sells or looks for on purpose. Most species have a nasty smell, in my opinion, but there is an old saying "There are the old mushroom hunters and there are the bold mushroom hunters…. but there are no old bold mushroom hunters." Be careful and my suggestion is never eat anything unless you're 100 percent sure because getting sick from inedible mushrooms isn't just like eating bad seafood. It generally will attack your liver or kidneys, etc. and can do some serious harm.

1 person likes this.
  5. PATO

PATO Young Morel

anyone seen any hens around Chicago

6. cockeyed1

cockeyed1 Young Morel

that is not a morel, it looks like a stinkhorn.

7. jean marie

jean marie Morel Connoisseur

I have eaten stinkhorn eggs after removing the clear jellylike substance from around the forming stinkhorn and then cooking. Has a radish smell and flavor. Not something I would probably eat again, unless it’s a life or death situation.

8. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Enthusiast

Kuo has a segment in his book 100 Edible Mushrooms about a guy preparing pickled stinkhorn eggs. If your specimen smelled "nutty" it's probably because all the foul smelling slime was removed from it.

Stinkhorns are called that for a reason. When they newly erupt from the "egg" they are covered with a slime that smells like rotting meat! The slime also contains stinkhorn spore. Flies will come to it, get the slime on them, and that's how the stinkhorn spreads it's spore.

2 people like this.
  9. Ash

Ash Young Morel

Its an old thread but thought I would let yall know it is not a stinkhorn. It is a half morel (Morchella Semilibera).

10. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Enthusiast

Here we go again. Do your research or trust everything you read on the internet, it's your life. Hmmm Tide pods look inviting.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ash

Ash Young Morel

It looks like Morchella Semilibera, it smells like Morchella Semilibera, it grows like Morchella Semilibera, the post is a year old, I think he is safe...

12. sharky597

sharky597 Morel Connoisseur

It's definitely not a half free, as I pick those every year right before the morels pop. That signature cup or "egg" shows that it's indeed a stinkhorn.

2 people like this.
  13. Inthewild

Sharky is right. How do post on here with out alienating others who give bad, sometimes life altering [sickness or possible death] information? It really preturbes me in worst way [insert swear word of your choice].

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM
  14. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

Hit the report button if you see something you think is bad for the public. I thought about reporting that ridiculous post by Ash but then again thought it was good to see the discussion.

The mushroom in question is definitely a stinkhorn.

How do we know this?
    1. It was found in September
    2. It came from a ball
    3. It left a cup in the ground

The only thing some would find questionable is the nutty smell.

Some people find the scent to be repulsive. I happen to like the smell of stinkhorns. I find them to be garlicky. Much like the scent of springtails.

Just don't ever put an egg into a tupperware container and accidentally leave it at a friends house without telling them what it is... :oops:

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Inthewild

I have no problem people voicing their opinions, just like my rebutal. I just hope my comments are read to open people up to doing better research before eating any shrooms. Everybody knows all Mushrooms are edible ONCE!

16. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

Therefore you should never be concerned about alienating people with your opinion. You could save someones life.. or just save them from a miserable few days.

I do wonder if some of these seriously misidentified mushroom posts are nothing more than trolling. I hope not because eating the wrong mushroom can have life threatening consequences as you have stated in your post. Every mushroom is edible... once.

17. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

Just to add a little more, in Europe it's called Morchella semilibera ( unless it's changed very recently ) In our area and the Eastern area it's called Morchella punctipes, out west it's Morchella populiphila, and they differ microscopically. Both are very good edibles though.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Inthewild

In Jack We Trust. All others don't tell me black is white.

Barnacle likes this.