Featured What do I have here?!?!

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by Hopsturgeon, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Hopsturgeon

Hopsturgeon Young Morel

I think it is a morel, but they grow out of a ball..... hollow center. Smells great. Nutty. Side of my yard.... the ball is pictured and the "cup" left after picking..... please help identify!!! Thanks! Kev

Attached Files:

2. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

Looks to be some type of stinkhorn.

Hopsturgeon and (deleted member) like this.

3. Hopsturgeon

Hopsturgeon Young Morel

I agree with your assessment once I looked them up. Good call. Now. Are they edible? These ones smell amazing! Like roasted nuts. Open to any opinion. And thanks. Kev

4. mattolsen

mattolsen Morel Enthusiast

I've read that some species of stinkhorns are edible but I don't know if I'd chance it. It'd definitely a stinkhorn, though I'm not sure about species id. They're definitely not a species that anyone, that I've heard of, sells or looks for on purpose. Most species have a nasty smell, in my opinion, but there is an old saying "There are the old mushroom hunters and there are the bold mushroom hunters…. but there are no old bold mushroom hunters." Be careful and my suggestion is never eat anything unless you're 100 percent sure because getting sick from inedible mushrooms isn't just like eating bad seafood. It generally will attack your liver or kidneys, etc. and can do some serious harm.

5. PATO

PATO Young Morel

anyone seen any hens around Chicago