Featured What do I have here?!?!

Discussion in 'Delaware' started by Hopsturgeon, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Dianna

Dianna Morel Enthusiast

2. Dianna

Dianna Morel Enthusiast

I think its a stink horn if its hollow when you break stem its a moral.

3. Dianna

Dianna Morel Enthusiast

4. Dianna

Dianna Morel Enthusiast

But if you are not certain toss it. I can tell when i pic them when in doubt though dont eat. Be safe

5. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

As if we haven't figured it out by now, it's a stinkhorn! What kills me is when someone misidentifies a shroom and then won't listen to anyone else or consider the evidence. Semilibera do NOT grow from cups, nor do they smell "nutty", at least not in my experience. And that cap does not look "free".

I've found semilibera ("half free"), Verpa (both bohemica and conica), Gyromitra, and morels like esculenta and crassipes. If you're halfway observant, they all look different! But, there are further tests to employ to make sure of what you have. And like others have said, if there's any doubt in your mind do not eat it!

I've found northern tooth growing at the base of oaks when the Audubon guide tells you they grow high up on maples! Yet, I've never mistaken them for hens! I find tons of boletes every year, but that's a genus I'm really leery of. Never had enough confidence in my finds to actually try and eat any. I'm on a mission to try and find the King Bolete, Boletus edulis! I don't know if I'll ever succeed, but I always have the dried ones in cellophane from eastern Europe and Russia that I can get at the local Polish deli!

Jmay likes this.
  6. MO ShroomSniper

MO ShroomSniper Morel Enthusiast

Stinkhorns have hollow stipes (stems) just like a morel, so don't let that fool you. Stinkhorn is what is pictured to start this thread, and they are NOT edible. Happy and safe hunting/eating!

7. am19forever

am19forever Morel Enthusiast

I think what your trying to say is ALL mushrooms are edible but some only ONCE....just saying.

8. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Yup. Some only once.

9. JHall0875

JHall0875 Morel Enthusiast

False morel cut in half morels hollow those look like have hood. Don't want eat Puffers early when cut are solid white and edible then when dusts that's spores so reproduce