What if...

Discussion in 'Nebraska' started by the twisted ones___, May 23, 2014.

1. the twisted ones___

the twisted ones___ Morel Enthusiast

What if you took a 1 gallon zip lock bag and the next time you find a morel in the forest dig up arond that area and fill the baggie with the decomposted forest material... then you take it home and place it in a 18 qrt stock pot and place this material in it and add lots of water so it dosent dry up during a boil that you boil at 170 degrees for 1 hour... then pour out thru a strainer to get all the largest matter out of it you may want to get out as much as you can because you will still have to strain this thru a coffe filter and youll only need about 800 mls of this solution. you need to pour this into a very clean qrt jar and youll have to make up a lid by drilling 2 holes on the lid 1 hole 1/8" and the other 1/2" 360 degrees from the other and closet to the outter ring .. you lhave to silicone the tiny hole with a blob of silicone typeII cuz its capacity to withstand high temps.. the other hole you have to cover with some tyvek just a small disk can work the size of a penny.. just place some silicone around the second larger hole loke a dougnut and place this disk of tyvek over it keeping the center of it clean of silicone this will allow the jar to breath later post sterilization... once you have filled the jar with 800 mls of your forest solution that you have strained thru the coffee filter and you can do this a couple of time if you like it a little more clearer... but from here you will need to add your lid to the jar but dont tighten the ring just place loosely... dont worry about the silicone it will dry in time... 1 cuz its water proof and second high temps cure it... once this is together you can place a piece of foil over the lid of the jar, just about a inch below the jars outter ring... now you must pressure cook this jar at 12 lbs for 15 mins to ensure a good pasturerization of its contents... once the pc has come to zero pressure and and the safety valve has fallen you can open up the pc and this is when you tighten the jar while its still hot but use gloves and make sure you dont bang the jar against anything hard... let it cool over time... you will need to use this at room temp later...
    wow that was long....hahahha
    now go find a large morel some where and cut it as low as to not have any openings in this fruit you ... basically you want the choisest morel you can find and dig that sucka deep so you get the stem but and part of root system... when you get home gently wash foo this specimen since your going to have to cut into it to use a center cut from the flesh... you must do this in a clean sterile enviroment. you wont need the whole fruit just a small inch... bottom solid stem but... this piece you wil cut with a sterile razor knife in half then cut a wedge out from one of the halves about a 1/2" this you will add to your jar, also within the sterile area... you pretty much done at this point and youll just have to incubate this baby in a dark but warmish area thats above 70 degrees... 72- 80 is ideal... this should grow mycelium that you can use closer to home or find a privet area that only you know and seed that area... if this works you could always have mycelium forever cuz you could keep the first jar as a mother and always make more...
    Like I said... What if...
    Thanx for reading...
    The Twisted Ones...

2. shroomanitutanka

shroomanitutanka Morel Connoisseur

Twisted Ones, wow! Sounds pretty scientific. If you are a biologist/botanist, then I give you my blessing. Give it a try and post the results. Everyone thinks about having their own arboretum full of morels at their disposal to walk, harvest & enjoy through the season! As for myself, I have always been blessed with the knowledge of the seasons timing. It wasn't something that happened in a season, but something that my forebears taught me as a young buck. You see or read about experiments such as you've mentioned, but like I said, you have to be given the right mindset to pursue such an endeavor. I thank you for your kind words in your earlier post. Wakan Tanka gives to each of us knowledge to share with others. I teach at Boystown & I always try to set the next generation up a little with what I know about the natural world and all that she has to offer. We have several Native American students & I am always amazed at what they teach me! Share your spirit with all and in the words of Chief Dan George, Endeavor to Persevere!
    Happy hunting!
    Shroomanitutanka obwa che yelo!

3. shroomanitutanka

Where we start, is where it ends, In the woods where we begin. With eyes shining full of inner light, we take the paths destined for all who seek the truth. I've had so much joy this year doing the things I love to do! I really don't know what lies ahead, but if there are morels involved, then I know the circle will be completed. It's not just the morels, it's the wonder of all there is to behold! To wander and take it all in, is enough for me! Now if I can just catch a few smallmouth to satisfy my hunger, I know things are right with Mother Earth!
    Shroomani

4. shroomanitutanka

Keep us posted on that experiment. Remember, the longest journey begins with the first step!