1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

When do the Chanterelles start in IL?

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by downersgravedigger, Jun 9, 2014.

1. downersgravedigger

downersgravedigger Morel Enthusiast

New to the area but experienced hunting chantys in New York state. Curious if anyone on this board finds them in Northern IL and when I should start looking?

2. wolf claw

wolf claw Morel Enthusiast

Never would of beleived there are Chants around Northern illinois but apparently there are! As to when the start I have no idea from my understanding they start popping sometime in early July but that is just what I have been told. I know they are up in Central IL and Central Indiana... I am going to start checking this weekend to see what type of fungi are out there!

3. downersgravedigger

downersgravedigger Morel Enthusiast

Im going to do the same, head out Sunday, maybe I'll travel South a few hours to see what I can find. I read that we need some heavy summer rains to jump start the Chants. I'm also keen to find some black trumpets for drying since I didnt have the self control to dry many of my morels this year, just kept on eating them:)

Ill keep you posted if I manage to find anything.

4. jaybo

jaybo Morel Enthusiast

I just got word from a reliable source that chanterelles have been found in northern, IL. I'm not surprised with all the rain, heat and humidity we've had. I'm going to start checking my spots in the next day or so and report back with any findings.