When to begin?

Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by baby_barefoot, Feb 7, 2019.

1. baby_barefoot

baby_barefoot Morel Enthusiast

This will be my fourth year in NC. I'm used to them being everywhere back home. I am hoping to make this my first of not being skunked.

When do you start looking around these parts? I see they are already popping up in other states.

2. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

No credible sightings so far this year, so far as I am aware. Last year, the first documented find was in the area of Augusta, GA. on 2/22 or 2/28, I can't remember for sure. As for NC, I don't know what the delay is, but the Augusta area is a very warm part of the country, generally.

3. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

It was 2/22/18, the day after Billy Graham died: the fellow who found it photo'd it on the Augusta Newspaper with the news story of Graham's death on the front page of it...

4. fun gus

fun gus Morel Connoisseur

Check out soil temp map. https://climate.ncsu.edu/map/
    I used this site just now. They pop at 53-54 degree soil and best picking is in the 60- 69 degree range. Depending on where in nc you are it’s starting now further west longer to wait. Lilac blooms also work. (Lilacs bloom at 53- just don’t look at Japanese lilac they are a little different). First bloom until the blooms are all brown. I never hunted there but I’ve been to states I don’t know and found seasons that way. I’ve been hunting 55 years and telling you what my grandpa told me so it’s not 100 years of lucky guesses. Good luck

silky, DIYDi and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Bixahscheesah

Bixahscheesah Morel Enthusiast

I'm in SW Virginia, and last year I found the first morels on April 27. Depending on your location you might find them a week or so earlier. If you're in the western end of the state, it's likely close to the same time frame as here in Va.

6. Demyx

Demyx Morel Enthusiast

So you guys have already started hunting if so I best keep my eyes out I'm is Missouri and this is the first day that's it's not been cold af literally yesterday it was so icy I fell the moment I walked on my porch and straight down the steps this year is gonna be great I pulled 18 pounds outta my new spot this last year if y'all want to see pics of the haul let me know

Ryker2019 likes this.
  7. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

I am in Charlotte/ Concord area of NC. I usually start looking around March 20. But I always find them when the flowers of the Dogwood just start to turn white.

Walkabout, Pensaul and Randee like this.
  8. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

I am curious about this year. 2018 was one of the wettest seasons we've had in the recent past, and the rain has continued into this year.
    Does anyone have any experience with good or bad outcomes following such a saturated time? Any guesses?
    The weather is slowly turning around in the Piedmont, although we have a cold break coming. Forsythia and maple and pear trees are showy.

9. NCRealEstateGuy

In my experience, about 10 years worth, Mother Nature has a way of leveling the extremes out over time. In other words, I do not find deviations of much time when I find them. Again, look for when the Dogwood trees flowers start to expand and turn color, look for the Cleaver plant starting to sprawl across the ground. Follow creeks on the high side and look for stands of Green Ash trees. Bingo. You will find them.
    Lots of rain during the fruiting season will cause them to deteriorate sooner than if it is a normal season. Too much rain will cause them to get soft faster than normal.
    It is still too early here to find them.

baby_barefoot, eidolon and Randee like this.
  10. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

I'd love to see the haul . . . . please do share/post!

swampcat likes this.
  11. NCRealEstateGuy

I went out in the cold rain today to scout for some new hunting grounds as two of my best spots got developed over the off season. I found one location that just has to be a honey hole... on the high side of a river, with Ash trees everywhere. I'm seeing the sprouts of the Cleaver plant, which is an indicator plant for me. I'll be heading back here in two weeks for sure.

swampcat likes this.
  12. Joe Bucki

Joe Bucki Young Morel

It seems that here in WNC, they are more sporadic in the Mountains. Some years a spot will produce, then nothing for a couple seasons, then produce again. I always look for ferns too.

13. Ryker2019

Ryker2019 Morel Enthusiast

14. baby_barefoot

I hear there are some being found in SC and WNC. I am in the foothills and can travel just about anywhere. Wondering if I should start looking this weekend.

I am tempted to ask for an experienced NC hunter to help me out this year lol.

15. macmacjoe

macmacjoe Morel Enthusiast

Boy o boy my shroom walking stick sure is gettin restless !

16. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

Wait. WNC is finding?

17. baby_barefoot

18. swampcat

swampcat Morel Enthusiast

did you find these yesterday?.

19. NCRealEstateGuy

Lumberton is not located in Western NC. It is close to the eastern shore.
    I checked my indicator spot on Saturday, and none were up.
    I think once this cool week goes by then we will start seeing them the week of the 24th.

swampcat and Walkabout like this.
  20. Mentally Flossed

Mentally Flossed Young Morel

My first find for 2019. Found today, outside of Charlotte. fist morel find 2019.jpg

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    swampcat, Jamesh and Walkabout like this.