1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

when will you find your first morel

Discussion in 'Cadillac Area' started by sweats71, Apr 7, 2013.

1. sweats71

sweats71 Young Morel

ill say april 17th for me in this area

2. blindin1i

blindin1i Morel Enthusiast

My lilac tree started budding a couple of days ago! Warm temps and rain coming, I'm thinking real soon! :lol:

3. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

Snowing right now and still snow in the woods here in Lewiston.

4. mcksold@gmail_com

mcksold@gmail_com Morel Enthusiast

For the Cadillac area I would say around the week of April 28th...Jim
    www.morelbook.com

5. ryansfree

ryansfree Young Morel

Whats your guesses around Roscommon and East jordan area

6. schroomaholic

schroomaholic Young Morel

If it doesnt warm up soon might be early may for Cadillac area.Down south last week of april im thinking.

7. poltergoose

poltergoose Young Morel

I found my first ones in the Big Rapids area on April 16th two years ago. Unfortunatelty I moved to Florida last year and to my dismay it is the only state that doesn't have morels. God help me, why did I move here :( . Happy hunting to my friends in Michigan. May the long winter and large amounts of moisture bring you a bountiful harvest.

8. sermak1

sermak1 Young Morel

Morels grow in EVERY state. http://morelmushroomhunting.com/2008_florida_foray.htm

9. gimmieliberty

gimmieliberty Morel Enthusiast

I'm slightly south but wondering hows the weather been? Cold front has moved through and I'm hoping you guys didn't get too frosty or snowy. Any predictions, like late season?

Planning on coming North 2nd-3rd week of may hope I'm not to early. Might be for yellows.. bummers. Hope the mushroom festivals up there don't get struck with bad conditions.

10. mcksold@gmail_com

mcksold@gmail_com Morel Enthusiast

The weather cooled down today but no worries it will be in the 60 this weekend and 70 Sunday then 75 on Tuesday
    2nd -3rd week in May should be right on for the white/yellows from Cadillac on north The blacks will likely be over or in their very last stage Some will disagree with this but that's ok by me but you should do well if the moisture continues..Jim McK
    www.morelbook.com

11. gimmieliberty

gimmieliberty Morel Enthusiast

Thanks that sounds like I might be right on time. I will be in Whitehall specifically but plan on cruising the whole Manistee NF range. I'm doing my weather/mushroom dance everyday until then, hope the Morel Gods like the hillbilly shuffle.. Looking forward to a beautiful stay in Manistee either way. Any opinions on things to do besides mushrooming appreciated.

I might charter a fishing vessel as a gift for my old man, might not be around much longer and I want to help knock some things off his bucket list. And finally: anyones opinion on the mushroom festivals (Mesick or Boynes)?

12. wildcrafter40

wildcrafter40 Young Morel

found 119 today folks found another 69 a very good day

13. poltergoose

poltergoose Young Morel

sermak1, I appreciate the link and the encouragement but there is nothing on that link suggesting any morels were found in Florida. It is just announcing the chance to come hunt in Florida. There are a lot of edible mushrooms in Florida but alas the morel is not one of them. Happy hunting all.

14. mmh

mmh Morel Connoisseur

i tried to get some sleep, but not happening right now, will be heading north early this a.m. may your bags be full

15. morelseeker

morelseeker Morel Connoisseur

On the north side of Cadillac take Boon Rd. which is the street in front of Meijers west until it T's turn right and follow that road north stay north and vere left and it changes into 30th rd. stay on that road until you see 15 1/2 mile rd where it's an intersection, not the first one,. Turn right onto 151/2 mile road go across railroad track and up a small hill just past the hill to the right there is a road that goes into the national forest make a sharp right hand turn onto it. Watch out for the pot holes. follow that road but stay on it at an intersection ahead vere left stay on it go north until you pass some pine trees planted and you'll see a big grassy area on both sides of the road. a dirt road comes in from the west. From that area you can locate morels anywhere. Don't worry about all the people up there I huint there every year I go and always find some pounds.

16. morelseeker

It's all good, really. I like to hunt the Manistee ,Traverse City and Cadillac triangle. You might want to google map the directions I gave. Remember you still have to hunt it's a big area. Even without me giving exact GPS co-ordinates, you'll still have fun. Off of 15 1/2 rd. you'll want to follow USFS road 5031 to where it intersects with W22 1/2 rd. and N 17 road. Then you can hunt north, south, east, west, or any direction. I've even hunted the outside perimeter of that big grassy area and found some even with people camping there. No one finds them all. Just pack a lunch, take a compass and plenty of foaming soap to rub on your legs for chiggers.

17. morelseeker

I wish I was up there now. With the rains it's going to be ON!

18. morelseeker

Big change of plans. This weekend I heading to northern Wisconsin, then into the upper peninsula of Mi., then west into Minn. then on to northern Minn.

19. scott c

scott c Morel Connoisseur

Dale, be sure to post every spot specifically you are going to in those states BEFORE you arrive so all the locals can welcome you with open arms. LOL. Seems only fair posting openly other people's hard earned places right? Come on Dale you can do it!!!! Let them know ahead of time.......it will be fun!

20. g_kv

g_kv Young Morel

Morelseeker, I am taking my 13yr old daughter to northern MI for the holiday weekend and thought we might do some morel hunting. I saw you gave some areas around Cadillac but wondered if you be kind enough to give me some directions to places I might try along M115, M37, M31 south of Traverse City or whereevr you might think would be a good place show teenager that Michigan out-of-doors can be more fun than a cell phone and facebook. :) To avoid people getting mad about you revealing locations you could send me a email at greg_kv@yahoo.com Thanks - Greg