Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
101 - 120 of 120 Posts
Very Nice, looks like a double beard. Nephew shot one Saturday at 7 steps, 25lb Tom. Think he is 13. Said he couldn't tell if it was his heart beating or the drumming Tom in the excitement . Probably a little of both. They worked at it a little. Left decoys to go after their bird, had 2 strutting at the decoy when they returned.

Discussion starter · #103 ·
Lol yeah that's cool. Last yeah we shot a double she shot hers and mine ran over and jump on it kicken it. I shot it off hers lol. Its good for the kids keep them out of troube o hope. I try to get her to go shroomen but she want to hang with friends now. Bummer. O well get while I can .

I hear you brother, take it while you can and keep asking. Never know when they will come along. My youngest 14, always willing to go. 15 yr old rarely and last one is in college. Combination of they enjoy time with dad in the outdoors and their self imposed guilt trip lol. I don't make them feel guilty, they just know if it's not them then who. Maybe it's pity lol, I'll still take it. They will have a lifetime of memories, of great times with dad.

Discussion starter · #105 ·
I think by Monday its going to bust wide open here. Crossen over it Illinois Saturday hope to have better luck there. if you're in Knox County I would have to say anytime between now and next weekend should be good there. hope the turkeys are plentiful and the mushroom bags full good luck..

https://picasaweb.google.com/116746021525229258500/Morels2015#6138945317857902338

Found my 1st morel of the season! Independence area

https://picasaweb.google.com/116746021525229258500/Morels2015#6138946259152667506

Should have walked out with about a dozen more but somebody was in my secret spot, stealing my shrooms! Guess it's true, early bird does get the worm.

Found 2 dozen today in platte county. Was able to get away from work a couple hours but had to return. I was hoping to be the early bird and worked out. Expecting a lot of rain this weekend and will make it a little tough for some to get out and look but should be plenty up to find if you get out. Good luck

Got out of work early because of rain and wife said she would come take a look. Rain had just stopped and hit an area and found 16 blondes in a small area around a dead elm. Surprised they were so big already, seen a couple small ones that I left for another day. This was in platte county

South, and I don't bite. Ran into a few nice folks out there over the past week. Had my first taste this year of some morels along with some catfish tonight. I'll get out a few more times and start giving them away; like the challenge. The first ones I found yesterday I am going to dry out and try to preserve for later. Should be ok if I can get them dry enough...will see. Will get out tomorrow afternoon if it's not raining. Still have a couple spots I haven't checked this year. Good luck dawg. Btw noticed when my hosta started to poke through the ground mushrooms were being found. May be a good indicator it's time to look

Never found them that plentiful but agree that along a river is a good spot and low lying areas. May have to take the boat out tomorrow if it's not flooded from all the rain. Have noticed a lot of dead or dying ash trees this year but never paid much attention before. Think it will be a great year with the cool temps and rain this coming week, should make it last longer.

Went back to same spot I took the wife Saturday and found 4 we missed and two that got stepped on, sure it was her. Walking back to the spot and noticed a couple dead elms up the ridge and found 4 yellows under them. Getting better at spotting the right tree. Seems that none of the dead ash trees are producing. All the bark is on the trees and lots of holes in trees from ash borer I assume. These were in platte county. Dad found a dozen small ones in Knox county today

Dad gobbled in 3 toms and shot one 25.5 lbs, inch spurs, and 10 in beard. Raining so didn't get a chance to look for any morels. Ran the lines and only had 1 13lb flathead. I was soaked by that time so didn't look for any morels. Tomorrow should not be raining so will check out a new spot for shrooms and hopefully more fish. Good luck

101 - 120 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.