Who\'s ready to pick some Chanterelles :-)

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by kc rm hunter, May 21, 2013.

1. kc rm hunter

kc rm hunter Morel Connoisseur

2. vibrantenergies

vibrantenergies Morel Connoisseur

Seen any yet?

It seems too early still...

3. kc rm hunter

Not yet,I am hoping for a great season since last year was almost nill here in the KC region due to the drought.I found my first of the few last year on june the 11th :) So you are right....a few weeks to go....!!!!!!!

4. vibrantenergies

Last year was pitiful here too, too dry. I didn't find more than two or three tiny ones in spots where there are usually tons. Hopefully they catch up this year!

5. jetcar

jetcar Morel Enthusiast

Can't wait. Found a big (probably 5#) Chicken of the woods the other day and that nice bright color reminded me of Chanterelles...

6. kc rm hunter

I think(and hope) it will be a killer summer shroom season....all the mushrooms that got stifled by the heat and drought last year will be eager to reproduce,and will surely pump out a BUNCH :)

7. vibrantenergies

I'm with you KC! That seems to be the case with morels this year, so other shrooms should be plentiful! Last summer was practically fungus-free around here! I found a few purple russulas a few days ago, so they're all definitely eager to pop out ;)

8. jetcar

jetcar Morel Enthusiast

Helped harvest a 15# flush of oysters from a single tree a couple nights ago. This really does seem to be a great year for mushrooms!

9. veronica

veronica Morel Connoisseur

I think chanterelles will be up in about 10 days if it warms up a bit.Ive been wrong before though lol

10. kc rm hunter

Sounds about right to me Veronica,I'll buy it! What region are you from???? I expect some reports from southern Mo. any day....although the nights have been a little cool lately!!!!! LOL

11. veronica

I am near the western edge of the north part of south eastern Missouri KC RM HUNTER. Have you ever been down this way to hunt before?

12. veronica

Seriously --I hunt and foray anywhere from west of Ava , to the southern Tri--lakes , and as far north as Iconium, and no farther east than Delawaretown . Lets say I cover a lot of places as a rule

Happy picking!

13. kc rm hunter

Hey Veronica,that first place you mentioned sounds familiar,lol.Your hunting grounds are way south of me,however I will keep an eye out when I am down in the Stockton Lake region next week....Crappie with sauteed Chants sounds pretty dang good :)

14. veronica

I've been to some campgrounds around Stockton Lake in the summertime, and it's easy walking through the woods for the most part. A good field guide might come in handy , because you never know what might pop up in those woods. It couldn't hurt for sure.
    Some Craterellus might be up!!
    Good luck!!

15. mushroomsarah

mushroomsarah Morel Enthusiast

So I'm new to this, but very excited to try and find some Chanterelles for the first time. Are they as illusive as morels? I understand they like moist, steamy weather. Do they prefer a certain tree type like morels seem to? I'm in the St. Louis area and any help would be much appreciated! I've never seen one in real life before and I'm hoping to have a little better luck than I did this year finding morels. (Many days in the woods, total for the season 12 morels.)

16. kc rm hunter

Thanks veronica :) and good luck to you!!! Mushroomsarah there are alot of Chanterelles in the Stl. Louis region....I can see the frustration on you face,lol. Go to your local state and city parks and look by streams in hardwood/oak forest for Chanterelles,they are yellow and don't have true gills.Look at several examples and make sure you have the right mushrooms with the ridges that run down the stem a little ways.The season hasn't started yet so check the boards to see when they start flushing in your area :)

17. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur

KC some of the gang have been posting on face book. Lets hope the rain continues and the chanterelles follow.

18. veronica

I usually see lots of red Russula's and Lactarins volemus around good Chanterelle habitat, if you see one you will usually find the other with some perseverance.

19. kc rm hunter

Yes,and here is another indicator that is pretty accurate as far as timing goes.......a good friend from Nixa is the person who told me this and a lot of other great pointers as far as mushrooms go!!
    It's the Butterfly Weed....it's pretty too!!!! :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  20. kc rm hunter

Yeah Pedro,I'm ready...good luck and I hope it's a good year in your woods :)