Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Lobsters are out there - found a fairly nice flush of them (4# or so) on Sunday in the KC area. These were almost certainly Lactarius Piperatus before they got bodysnatched by the lobster fungus - there were tons of lactarius in that same spot two weeks ago, and some of them kept their lactarius shape.

No luck with the chanterelles yet. The spots where I saw small ones beginning to form never actually produced anything.

· Registered
35 Posts
Wow! I've only found 3 small chanterelles this year - these posts are making me a little bit envious!

Nice timing on the badiceps posts... I found bunches of them (small, young, crisp, without worm damage) the other day. Their taste when fresh wasn't too bad, but I found enough that drying them seemed like a better option. Here's hoping they're delicious when dried/cooked...

· Registered
35 Posts
Finally found some Chanterelles a few days ago - a little over half a cooler full of them. Just east of Kansas City - more than just a few hundred miles east... more specifically in Western PA!

The only time I've really found them here in Missouri was at the end of July or so. Is it getting to be too late here now, or can we expect another flush or two?

· Registered
35 Posts
Very nice haul indeed - it sure is fun to throw a few species into the bag! Do you enjoy eating those coral mushrooms? I've seen more of them than I ever have this year, but have yet to pick any of them.

Went out yesterday and found some very small fresh chanterelles not too far out of KC, and of course plenty that have been gnawed on for weeks by worms and snails. If we get another rain in the next couple of days there might be one more good flush. Fingers crossed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.