Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Seriously --I hunt and foray anywhere from west of Ava , to the southern Tri--lakes , and as far north as Iconium, and no farther east than Delawaretown . Lets say I cover a lot of places as a rule

Happy picking!

· Registered
135 Posts
I've been to some campgrounds around Stockton Lake in the summertime, and it's easy walking through the woods for the most part. A good field guide might come in handy , because you never know what might pop up in those woods. It couldn't hurt for sure.
Some Craterellus might be up!!
Good luck!!

· Registered
135 Posts
Butterfly weed seems to be blooming out nicely in my area. I think proper rain, heat , and humidity needed to make it do so is also favorable for summer mushroom's , including chanterelles. Another indicator which is just now barely showing up are some wild day lily's.

All that is needed now is a good soak-er or 2 to get things going . I have seen a few nice polypore's and Pluteus cervinus lately and some misc. Russula's,

· Registered
135 Posts
Vibrantenergies--Some are edible or eatable. You may do a field taste test on them and check to make sure .

If you taste a tiny piece and spit it out, and it's sweet-tasting, you have a choice (and most likely) edible species. If it's tasteless, it's not worth bothering with. If you feel like you've bitten into a hot pepper, it's a poisonous species which would probably cause you to puke your guts out!!

For the most part Russula's are hell to ID with 100 percent accuracy , and there are very many different strains of them. To make matters more confusing one strain may be quite variable in appearance even in the same grouping. Weather , temperature, sunlight and wind would be the reason for that. And most are susceptible to maggots and fly larvae within 48 hours after they pop---another reason to perhaps just enjoy their beauty and not worry about consuming them

· Registered
135 Posts
The slime molds are pretty interesting, I used to have a connection with a guy from Arkansas that was an expert on the subject. He taught me a few things for sure! His internet handle was Slimeball lol
Hers a nice link
http://englishrussia.com/2008/09/23/slime-molds/

· Registered
135 Posts
Could be Amanita flavorubens or similar because yours is more brown in color. The answer would surely be here at this very special Amanita site. Not the easiest to navigate but covers a lot of territory

http://www.amanitaceae.org/?About+Amanitaceae

http://www.amanitaceae.org/?Amanita%20flavorubens

· Registered
135 Posts
I find Lobsters in a pine and oak mix wood. Some near pine and some near oak.
Since the host mushroom is "considered "to be "either a short stalked Russula or Lactarius piperatus" one might find them just about anywhere in my opinion. But my findings seem to show up year after year so once you get a patch it will be "yours" for a while. I have had best results in August and September here .

· Registered
135 Posts
Boletus sensibilis probably if they bruised quickly to a dark blue. Or Boletus Bi-color if it was lighter blue and not so quick to bruise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_bicolor

I have consumed both and the latter is an excelent edible. . The sensibilus is not a poison mushroom in my opinion, just one to try cautiously at first. I always restrain from over consumption of them just to be safe .

The B. sensibilus tend to be more numerous and scattered in my woods and seem to always be chewed on by critters. They have a longer pore's , soft flesh , and can get quite large.
The Bi-colors seem to come up closer to oaks and in small groupings . They are easily distinguished by their very thin yellow pore surface, inward -curled margin, and dense (or hard) flesh.

· Registered
135 Posts
The super thin pore surface and hard flesh of the cap and especially the stem is the key to bi-colors. The color of the stipe can vary, and there's even a mostly yellow version . So color is not a solid factor in Identification of them

Good luck!

· Registered
135 Posts
The parasols I find favor parks, picknic area's, and walking paths. They seem to have a relationship with ants perhaps. Anyway's I love to eat them and they are pretty easy to ID with 100 percent accuracy. So thats good news to hear

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.