Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 165 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
KC -

So, blooming butterfly weed is a sign the chanterelles are up? Do you know any other of nature's signals for summer shrooms?

Should be any day now! It's been wetter than it has been for a while here. Warmer temps coming soon should make 'em pop!

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'll bet ya a nickel that this hot weather will make a Chanterelle flush in a couple of days vibrantenergies. I saw green-gills in the lawns this morning and the weeping widow mushroom next to the Oaks in the back yard.I'll bet the wild black Rasberries will be ripe very soon as well,I guess I should check them before the birds do :)

· Registered
8 Posts
I just found the first of the season for me in Georgia yesterday, but the caps were about the size of a dime and I left them to grow. Could have brought in 4-5 lbs of oysters, but I find them boring. Last year I picked first poundage on May 30. It's going to be a late year.

· Registered
137 Posts
I'm with you KC - so no bet ;)

I noticed the low-dewberries are about to be ready for picking, so summer is just about here!

I have found a few huge green-spored lepiotas (is that the green gill you speak of, KC?) but they were all shredded up by turtles! I thought it was squirrels at first until I found a box turtle happily munching away in the middle of some shredded shroom debris.

msquared - Congrats on your Georgia find! Was May 30 the first poundage last year in Georgia, or are you a Missourian? I know last year was early for plants and fungus alike, I think this year has been more typical, if not a tad late.

I wonder why there are no oysters in my neck of the woods! ;(

· Registered
8 Posts
Vibrant- I live in GA. I have friends who forage in MO and OH, and it seems that GA is usually around 2 weeks earlier than you guys. I am going back out this Friday, hoping they will be popping by then. To find oysters, pay close attention to fallen hardwood trees. I find a lot of oysters on them. Dead standing trees also.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Good luck to you Mitch and msquared and V.e.'s!! Vibranteneries I was talking about the Chlorophyllum molybdites,not the Green-spored Lep.!!!!!!LOL (jk) :)
I did check the wild black rasberries and they weren't as far along as I expected???? It may be longer than I'd expected....but I swear with this heat I'd expect them with the next rain :-/.......maybe,if not after that!!!LOL

· Registered
137 Posts
HAHA.... Thanks for the latin name, KC :)

I'm going to check a raspberry patch near my house today to see of they are close. The chants are definitely close! Your last couple of sentences sound like all us shroom hunters when we're trying to figure out if it's time yet! :)

Msquared - Thanks for the tip! Let us know when those chants are poppin' in your 'hood!

· Registered
135 Posts
Butterfly weed seems to be blooming out nicely in my area. I think proper rain, heat , and humidity needed to make it do so is also favorable for summer mushroom's , including chanterelles. Another indicator which is just now barely showing up are some wild day lily's.

All that is needed now is a good soak-er or 2 to get things going . I have seen a few nice polypore's and Pluteus cervinus lately and some misc. Russula's,

· Registered
135 Posts
Vibrantenergies--Some are edible or eatable. You may do a field taste test on them and check to make sure .

If you taste a tiny piece and spit it out, and it's sweet-tasting, you have a choice (and most likely) edible species. If it's tasteless, it's not worth bothering with. If you feel like you've bitten into a hot pepper, it's a poisonous species which would probably cause you to puke your guts out!!

For the most part Russula's are hell to ID with 100 percent accuracy , and there are very many different strains of them. To make matters more confusing one strain may be quite variable in appearance even in the same grouping. Weather , temperature, sunlight and wind would be the reason for that. And most are susceptible to maggots and fly larvae within 48 hours after they pop---another reason to perhaps just enjoy their beauty and not worry about consuming them

· Registered
11 Posts
Chanterelles are easy to see and find. Is nature that's gonna get ya , ticks , snakes , etc. First we have more than one species of chants here, reds and yellows, two different yellows and a type of yellow foot but you should have experience with that one, and then black trumpets. Some locals have spots that are off the hook but they are public property and open for grabs .....We are lucky to have lots of conservation areas here. 8-O

· Registered
137 Posts
Veronica - Thanks for the Russula info! I've found a couple green-cracked ones and they're in the fridge awaiting more finds. I found a large patch of red chanties, but they're all incredibly tiny! Has anyone ever found some big enough to eat? I'm sure the smooths are going to be out any day (maybe today with the cool rain last night - haven't went outside yet). Dark star, you're in my immediate area and you found some babies, so they're on the way! I found some tiny gem-studded puffballstoo, so they will flush really soon also. I like them! I also found a nice,big fish milky yesterday, but it was a little damaged and too buggy. Man those things just POUR out the "milk"! My kids were wowed!

Happy hunting everyone! The variety and amounts this year are going to be the stuff of story telling legend....

· Registered
157 Posts
I was always curious about the Red Russies but a seasoned hunter told me to leave then alone so I have,sounds like Veronica has been around the "mushroom block" a few times and knows her stuff :)
As far as the Stockton Lake report.....we(my son and I) did end up catching a few big Crappie and one keeper Walleye,but found no fresh Edible mushrooms except the Corals that I left.We did leave right before the bad storm rolled in Saturday(thank goodness). We were able to find a few wild edibles though......

And here's a few mushrooms we saw...

The Chanterelles should be here any time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the pics and update KC!

I have spotted some cool fungus the past few days. More fish milkies and a HUGE Agaricus, some green-cracked russulas, and also a really bizarre puffball-type shroom in my hastas! What's the simplest way to post pics here? Photobucket?

21 - 40 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.