Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am beside myself waiting for the season to get started over here in PA or your neck-of-the-woods. I just came inside from taking a temp reading of the front yard that only gets morning sun. Thermometer at 4" depth wasn't sure if it wanted to read 50.9 or 51 as it kept fluctuating. I was shocked to see it that warm at 4:30ish in the afternoon. I know it will be cooler in the woods but I'll be damned if I'm not takin' the dog for a quick temp read 2mrw in my black spot! I expect TN will be reporting soon based on Alabama's report's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been watchin my spots and lookin for lightning struck trees in highland county. No signs of dryads yet, found a few missed oysters.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I
https://www.change.org/p/ohio-state-senate-change-ohio-s-wild-mushroom-laws

Has anyone else seen this or understand why anyone would want it? It has an inaccurate statement that ‘shrooms sold at farmer’s markets are illegal. We sell at Farmer’s Markets and haven’t ever had a problem. Our read of the law says as long as we’re not selling to retail places or chefs, we’re good to go. Plus farmer’s market are exempt from a lot of the food safety rules....any thoughts on why someone would want to change the law?
signed! It's a great move imo. I'd love to pass a test and get my mushroom expert cert!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry I asked. Didn’t think anyone would actually sign a petition that is over a year old. Deleted the original post. Was just curious why anyone would want to change pretty reasonable laws. Got my answer. You become an “expert” by paying attention to details and spending years studying your subject. Michigan and South Carolina offer a piece of paper for those who need one. Getting good existing laws changed to invasive laws is always a bad idea, unless one enjoys having government in every aspect of their life.

·
Vendor
202 Posts
Seeing early flower starting to bloom and the bees are flying. We are about to start scouting the woods for any new promising spots for this season.

So YES my boots are ready!

·
Registered
126 Posts
We are due for a decent year. Can't say that I'm ready, but have been thinking about doing some pre season scouting in some unfamiliar ares in southern Ohio as I would like to spend some time down there this year. South Central has always been my stomping grounds...won't be picking there till first week in april at best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a South Central Ohio hunter myself.. . Be a few more weeks out before we even take a walk, let alone start seeing the blacks sprout... Probably looking at 2md week of April before we start going daily.....its going to come fast though

·
Registered
9 Posts
Think my first find last year was April 12. Was thinkin this season would be sooner, not lookin that way now. My new spot last year had really small blacks surrounded by huge half free morels. Lightning struck cherry beside a fallen elm!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd say on average, here in S Central OH, i get my first taste one week into April...if it warms up too early it's never been good for me...stinks waiting the extra week or two for the weather to warm up, but its worth the wait...slow warm ups = full sacks towards the end of april on into may...can't wait for that first pan...craving them big time

·
Registered
64 Posts
hey, every one I got a question. I live in ky and I am making a trip to oh to see family this spring, and I have always heard that oh is a awesome and very productive state for morels. so when I'm there I plan on trying my luck out to se what the great state has to offer. don't get me wrong ky is a good place to. but the thing is my family lives in the city so my best options would probably state parks or forests. and the only info I can find on rules and laws are about state parks not forests, and the place I plan on going is Miami white water forest. does any one know if you got to get a permit, stay on trails or even aloud at all. i'd appreciate any info thanks guys. and good luck to you all this spring.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts