Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
I've tried to see if they get bigger and usually what happens is they either dry up, get moldy and rot or another bigger one comes up beside the one that has dried or rotted, making me think that when they fruit they are as big as they get. I've pinched them off and went back a few days later to find a bigger one came off the same stump from the one I pinched the other morel from. But as to the fact of them growing and producing spores as soon as they fruit the spores they have are released; in my opinion. But everyone thinks differently and I'm not trying to argue, just speaking from experience.

· Registered
146 Posts
If they grow or not is totally irrelevant. They been here for hundreds of years before we were born and will be here hundreds of years after we are gone. The indians collected them in woven baskets. You might use a mesh bag or plastic bag it's up to you it won't change a thing. I hunt them in three different woods. First day first woods; pinch off morel hide stump with leaves. Second day second woods,same. Third day third woods, same. Fourth day back to the same spots in first woods there they are again sometimes right off one of the stumps I left earlier under leaves I hid them with. The earlier ones are smaller and the later ones are bigger. Just go out and have fun finding them, like you are on a treasure hunt and don't worry about the small stuff. Having fun is the main thing. No matter how you do it.

· Registered
146 Posts
The pictures of the black morel growing could have been faked but even so look how the morel is getting thinner and frailer it isn\'t growing thicker and getting heavier in fact it should have been picked when it was fresh and meatier. The last pick May 1st is what it grows into nothing,just thin walled dried up no weight. When I find them when they look like the april 27th or 28th pic I pinch them off crumble them up and throw them away.

· Registered
146 Posts
A more correct terminology would be morels expand. And just like a balloon expands they get thinner as they do so. Then they lose moisture and get crumbly. When I think of the word grow, it leads me to believe something gets thicker, bigger and gains weight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.