Will this be the year we've been waiting for????

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by kspaz06, Apr 9, 2015.

1. kspaz06

kspaz06 Morel Enthusiast

Their saying this will be the year we have the greatest harvest of morels we've seen in years.... judging how the winter was and how the spring has been adding up... I know i havent had a great year in over five to six years.... dont get me wrong ive pick morels every year but havent had many to share... I know my area was hit pretty hard with storms last year and knock over many tree will see if that will add to my chances of harvesting great numbers..

2. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

I'm gazing through the lens of my shroomometer and surveying the alingment of conditions over the next few weeks. And...yes...it's looking like this will be the Year of the Great Morel Harvest. This will be the one you'll tell your grandchildren of, and it will be emblazoned in the collective cultural memory for ages. Go forth, seek, and find.

3. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I find it hard to believe it will be any better than 2003 was. But I hope so.

4. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

I thought last year was pretty good

5. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

If we get some water s.trooper. we should be gettin some!:) need water!!

6. buckthornman

Went and checked today with my daughter but it's just to early! Feels right though with this warm weather. That will change next week. Slow us in mn till end of April. O well it will happen. Feel better after walking in the thorn!

7. buckthornman

Why does,t this Damn thing let me get to Wisconsin. If it weren't,t for old elm , s trooper and mush God this site wouldn't even exsist. Damn computers.. #@$%%&% time to go eat last year's dehydrated.:)

8. shroomtrooper

Buckthorn, end of April for Iowa or MN. What do you think bud.

9. shroomtrooper

Reread your post, MN, I hope your right.

10. 0101010101

0101010101 Morel Enthusiast

I don't see any reason this year will be particularly different than years past. To date, it's actually been a little drier than normal so it could be a little worse. The "greatest harvest" talk is for burn morels from the record forest fires out West and in Canada.

11. shroomtrooper

Yes , you are right .A lot of wildfires last year all over.

12. buckthornman

Trooper I can almost bet it will not be any later then May 5th. Might be wishful thinking. I honestly think there will be a few in the next couple days. fingernail size but its gonna be cool this week. But since when didn't a mushroom like cool damp dark weather.

13. buckthornman

As far as this being better then last year. I doubt it. I think that because the moisture isn't here. But it could warm after this week and get some rains here and there. It's just been sporeradic weather. Mama nature needs to get her pattern together.

14. buckthornman

Where is God be willing to say he's in the thick of em as we speak.

15. blueheron333

blueheron333 Morel Enthusiast

Many people will tell you that 2003 was the best year anybody knows about. I definitely agree with that. I also agree with kb, that it's hard to imagine this year being better. But perhaps...

16. shroom god

As I think of it, every year is the year I've been waiting for. Once it's over I go into countdown mode, awaiting the next year; over and over it has gone, year after year.

I go to "church" for 3 weeks every year. The chapel is the woods. The sermon is delivered by the birds, insects and plants, and is far more meaningful than anything I could receive in a brick building on a corner in town. The sacred book imparted to me is the book of life, and the chapter is Awakening. I place my faith in nature, so endlessly marvelous and beautiful.

I think it's going to be a great year. My first find today included a cluster of 8. That's a promising sign.

17. shroomtrooper

Well Buckthorn I hope your right, scheduled vacation at that time. Shroom god congratulations on that cluster of 8,I get giggly when I find a cluster of 3. Last year was great, this year to me is looking real good, little more rain would be great, but these cooler days will not dry up the ground so much. I cant wait for my brief period of freedom I will so much enjoy in another 2 weeks, every day in the woods, rain or shine, cranking up the dehydrator, eating morels and steak, sharing my finds with a few chosen people. Will I find a newborn fawn again this year? Never know.

18. buckthornman

Yes God I agree we never know when our last hunt will be! I hope when I go that i've eaten so many damn morels that they lay me down by the biggest old elm they can fined. And pick 100s for eternity.:)

19. shroom god

I admire your vision there, Buckthornman. That's awesome! I hope you pull 'em out by the bushel this year. Where you located anyway?

shroomtrooper, that cluster of 8 was tecnically not a cluster, but 8 in a 4 or 5 inch radius. Still a pretty welcome sight! I checked a <em>LOTTTTTTTT </em>of trees in some pretty good ground, and that one tree was the only producer.

20. bagger

bagger Young Morel

Been viewing your posts since last season and enjoyed the reading. Decided to register and join the discussion.
    I had the same results in the Dsm area yesterday 6 1" in two locations for 3hrs of looking. Mother nature needs to bless us with heat and moisture.