Will this be the year we've been waiting for????

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by kspaz06, Apr 9, 2015.

1. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Welcome Bagger, got to admit this site is pretty fun. I was pretty sure of my 1st week of May vacation, but with this cold weather, I dont know what to think. I think the fruiting process already started underground so the cooler temps may not matter as much as last year when I think the process started later. Ramps are up, saw some Dandelions coming up. All good signs, still hoping for around May 4th, Shroom god looks like your days should be right on .

2. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Shroomtrooper, I'm going to bank on first wkend in May too. Where are you located @, twin cities? This is setting up a lot like 2012.

3. shroomtrooper

Thanks for the reply OldElm, I value your opinion. I am west of Twin Cities about 25 miles. I took a walk at some of my early spots, ramps bigger, dandelions out, 2 weeks from now maybe the start I hope. In 2012 they where seeing morels way earlier in Iowa according to the map, we will see. If the heat stayed I would have banked on the last week of April.

4. walklikeanindian

walklikeanindian Young Morel

I had a magical season last year, it was my first time ever hunting. My husband is on his 30th season this year, and I hope it's the best one yet, although he has told me about going down to Van Buren county and finding so many that he had to freeze them and they lasted well into the next season!!! Come onnnnnn Mushroom gods and let me find some tasty treats!

5. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Found some yesterday while hunting just after the two days of rain. Three isolated areas, none of the morels over two inches (I think smaller greys are the most flavorful). Finding them in what I call my early spots and where I have always found them early for the past 25 years give or take. South facing and always dead elms. Good to hear there isn't a lot of consternation about the three overnight lows in the 30s. Going with shroom god's "nothing can stop the now." I like it. Told myself I wouldn't check this board until later because it's just going to fire me up to go out and I really shouldn't tonight. Dang. And here I am and feeling the need to get out there!

6. swi shroomer

Found some yesterday while hunting just after the two days of rain. Three isolated areas, none of the mores over two inches. Finding them in what I call my early spots and where I have always found them early for the past 25 years give or take. South facing and always dead elms. Good to hear there isn't a lot of consternation about the three overnight lows in the 30s. Going with shroom god's "nothing can stop the now." I like it. Told myself I wouldn't check this board until later because it's just going to fire me up to go out and I really shouldn't tonight. Dang. Here I am and feeling the need to get out there!

7. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Good report, SWI Shroomer. Growing restless across the days and months since 2014 season's end, finding those first ones really grounds a person doesn't it? I feel like a heavy weight has been lifted. Your description of habitat matches mine: south-facing slope (I'd gestimate a gentle incline of about 25-30 degrees), and the ones I found were around a big elm at the crest. The fruiting is underway; the cool weather will not deter it but only prolong it, and when the conditions again turn optimal I expect them to burst forth all over the place. It seems that everyone else here an optimist too. :cool:

8. buckthornman

buckthornman Morel Connoisseur

It lifts the wait that we can,t explain God!! It is the best feeling:) stopping by an old friends house. Having a beer over some good intellectual conversation. Except the friend is a 10-20 yr spot his name is old elm and he produces year after year after year... every morel season is your last...now you know this is going to be your best and favorite season. I love this part of my life just like God,old elm,s trooper...this is who we are! I pick morels there for I am.:)

9. buckthornman

God I live in central Minnesota. And swi good to hear another logical experienced person on this site. I,'ll be honest this is the only place I chat. No Facebook no tweets no # . And God keep it coming. Divine intervention might be what we need this year!!!

10. buckthornman

S trooper I think your gut knows what's happening. Better listen to it. We had snow on the ground until May 7th last year. Old elms knowledge is the best on this site. So when he whispers y'all better absorb.then go forth and do.trooper your thought about the process is right on the money.

11. shroomtrooper

Your right Bucky, I am going to listen to my gut, it has gotten bigger over the years,ha. It will not be close to peak, but I like to have off the start of season anyway. At least it wont be like last year, cancelled vacation 2 three times, that was painful.

12. bobalouie

bobalouie Young Morel

They are and have been finding greys in nebraska and there is a nice pic of some found in Glenwood, IA.

13. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Hey swiasm&KB!! Long time no hear!!! Great to see ur still at it. 1st of the year yesterday in nw ia. Would luv to be your way KB...gotta b perfect there. Should b banner year, no heat for next week...good luck guys...mivame... [code title=""]

14. bobalouie

bobalouie Young Morel

Here is a link to some nice pics of morels found recently.........https://www.facebook.com/wildernesswomenRC

15. swi shroomer

Mivame,

Great to hear from you! I always think of you this time of year and hope you are getting out and getting mushrooms. I am going out again tomorrow and really expect to do well.

16. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Swiasm, tuff couple years w ivy...ugh...b ur way morrow. Gotta luv the river, see nuthin& just drive nother hour south!! Found enuff 2 eat 4 brkfst here 2 day. Did u ever hunt Bartlett back n the day???

17. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Heron, Man that was a year! I live down in St. Joe. MO. But I love to hunt in Iowa to get a longer season and I just like being outside. Picking morels still gives me a rush like I'm 8 years old and its Christmas morning. I swear that year Iowa was loaded from top to bottom. If you found a good elm it had morels and many had big flushes. I have old pictures that I took from 5 totally different areas of Iowa and I had over #25 in every one of them. I wrote myself a note on the back of one that said " picked 15 pounds in 30 minutes on three elm" Plus the river maples went nuts that year. What a year. But who is to say that this year won't be better?

18. swi shroomer

Mivame, never hunted it but am familiar with that area having grown up here and my dad has a bunch of farm land south of there a few mile. Drove by there today on I-29 as a matter of fact. Looked at the hills and bottoms numerous times and wondered if there were like a million morels out there waiting. My mind gets pretty wrapped up in this stuff. Do you like the hills there or the river?When I lived in Glenwood as a boy in the '60s I'd hear reports of Bartlett and Pacific Junction pickers hauling morels around in bushel baskets filled to the brim and I'd dream of doing that some day. My season is off to a sluggish start. I keep expecting to do better than I am. Slim pickings thus fat but it's early.

19. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Swiasm- Bartlett was a blast!!! Bagsn bags. All got dozed for campers now. What's with people?? I prefer bottoms to the hills. Always week or 2 earlierer. Easier on the knees 2. At desoto 2day. 8#ish. Counted 25 cars on the way out!!!! Sheesh!! Glad I brought the boat. Was gonna stay, but looks like rain. B back Mon, hate fighting wknd warriors. Found smalls, bugs& few yellows. Get out there!! Peace...

20. mivame

mivame Morel Enthusiast

Kb- b in kc the 1st. Should I bring stick&bag?? Or will it b too late??