Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Man, we are getting snow here on Saturday and the woods don't have any green in them. Still shed hunting where I am at. Isn't the timetable about 50 miles north/week for morels?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the general rule of thumb, local climates can alter it.

Snow is a nice alternative for soil moisture though. To your south we will see 2-4" of rain over the next week which will run off and flood areas aleeady with elevated river levels. Snow will melt and soak into the ground giving a better saturation. I'd take a foot of snow over an inch of rain at this stage, although the ground in most areas is pretty saturated now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking it will be more of a "normal" start to the season here in central IL.

First week or two of April isn't looking promising for areas north of I-70. Thinking I-72 area will see the first reports in the 19th-25th timeframe which isn't out of the norm.

Won't even go out Master's weekend which is my go to weekend the past 6 years barring any significant heat waves. As long as the heat doesn't come in and dominate the weather we could have a good season around here, just need the rains to cooperate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking next weekend I might stop at my early spot and see where things stand.

Not discouraged in the slightest by the recent weather, I'd rather have it be a delayed season than a big cold snap after finding a few. Still think somewhere in the 19th-25th range around here in Springfield. Several years ago it would be a normal timeline, over the past 5-6 years we've had some well above normal temp years and that's got normal timing skewed a bit.

The only negative I can think of occuring now is going from the below normal temps to well above normal too quick. If things stay as they are we could be in for a great year finally.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be a little more concerned if I was in southern IL where things have already started. Might see a decent snow late week down there. Been a crazy spell of weather for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a light snow flurry up here in dupage county, shouldnt affect anything. cold temps should rise above freezing here around noon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allegedly someone found a morel in Sangamon county today. Was posted on Illinois morel mushroom facebook page.

Proof was merely a phone with calendar pulled up.

I'm very skeptical on this find, but it might be enough to get me to check my early spot before the snow hits Friday night.

I will say Masters weekend has been a good weekend for me several of the past 6 years or so, but we just haven't had the right temps in my opinion.

Doesn't really say where in Sangamon but can't imagine things much different towards the Montgomery County border.

FB_IMG_1522881453042.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
4 straight days in the 60's and 70's, things will definitely get going around here. Unfortunately the below normal temps will becoming back, hopefully stays above freezing for the most part.

Think I will put in my vacation for May 11th through the 20th.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cls_74,
You think the beginning will be that late? I was thinking we might start seeing them around Peoria/Tazewell county the last weekend of April, or the week through May 5th. I'm really hoping next week will start things out in the woods

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cls_74,
You think the beginning will be that late? I was thinking we might start seeing them around Peoria/Tazewell county the last weekend of April, or the week through May 5th. I'm really hoping next week will start things out in the woods
This warm up should get them coming up around here, but its going to get pretty chilly again the second half of the month. I think that will slow things down a bit, having a couple freezes and frosts.

I think if we can transition into more of a springlike pattern, rather than straight into the mid to upper 70's, low 80's it will be a good timeframe. Years past it would be an ideal time, just seems the past 6-7 years we have seen some early seasons and it has altered what we see as a normal year.

If my timing is off and it gets warmer than anticipated, I will still have plenty of time with 3 day weekends to get into the woods and my vacation will be spent catching some slabs on the spawn rather than buffalo gnats in the woods.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Allegedly someone found a morel in Sangamon county today. Was posted on Illinois morel mushroom facebook page.

Proof was merely a phone with calendar pulled up.

I'm very skeptical on this find, but it might be enough to get me to check my early spot before the snow hits Friday night.

I will say Masters weekend has been a good weekend for me several of the past 6 years or so, but we just haven't had the right temps in my opinion.

Doesn't really say where in Sangamon but can't imagine things much different towards the Montgomery County border.

View attachment 4436
How do you get to that map? Does it have other states?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How do you get to that map? Does it have other states?
It's on Illinois morels facebook page. I'm sure other groups do something similar for their areas but do not know of them, I only pay attention to IL's progression.

Might do a search for Chris Matherly's site, dont want to promote it here, but he used to have a national progression map but not neccessarily county specific. Haven't been to the site in a few years but guessing it still exists

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's on Illinois morels facebook page. I'm sure other groups do something similar for their areas but do not know of them, I only pay attention to IL's progression.

Might do a search for Chris Matherly's site, dont want to promote it here, but he used to have a national progression map but not neccessarily county specific. Haven't been to the site in a few years but guessing it still exists
OK Thank you.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cls_74,
I'm thinking the last week of April also should be just about right time for Stark County Morel Mushroom Fstival! Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took a month lol.

Going to have about 2 weeks to get things done, there is very little rain coming for the central part of the state over the nwxt 10 days and the heat is about a week away

Short season around here likely

20180422_110234.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Switching my vacation to the 4th - 13th tomorrow. 11th -20th will end up being on the downswing

·
Registered
56 Posts
WE NEED SOME RAIN. ALL FORECAST FOR RAIN HAS CHANGED. This is not looking like a good year for central IL. I had about 100 big yellow morels at this time last year. A couple of my spots will always have moisture but places I found them last year will prob have minimal to none with how dry it will be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rain is going to do the season in for a lot of us. Couple tenths in the next 10 days for a lot of the area with 80's coming next week.

Status quo I suppose. Get all the rain you could hope for, temps plummet and then when things finally get going the spigot shuts off and the dryer turns on.

This coming weekend will be the greys with some yellows starting to pop, then the heat turns on and the big yellows will start. Unfortunately with these warm ups, southerly winds will be steady amd dry everything out including the musrooms already up.

7 day forecasted precip, keeps trending drier and being pushed back.
p168i (19).gif

1 - 20 of 33 Posts