WV Morels 2018

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by mbdola, Apr 6, 2018.

1. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Everyone make it through Winter alright?

Seems the jet stream has WV in an ice box. Warmer weather late next week should raise soil temps.

2. eggbo

eggbo Morel Enthusiast

going out today lucky friday the 13th. will post if we do any good. North Central WV.

3. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Whats up guys? This weather is messed up lol. The ground cover is getting thick in my area and the oaks are budding with a speck of green showing. I may have to go for a walk today and have a peek around.

4. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Almost there, fiddle heads are starting to unroll and the redbuds in partial-full bloom. Found 2 devil's urns and a scarlet cup. Temps look great for next week and guessing I should be able to fill a bag by next weekend. Good luck everyone, It's about to happen.

5. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

P.S. amanita you can come out of hibernation now the grass is getting green hahaha.

6. eggbo

eggbo Morel Enthusiast

I agree pbwv fiddle heads every where. Ran across a couple dozen yesterday evening small greys. Going back after them tomorrow. Will post pics then.

7. J.Higgins304

J.Higgins304 Young Morel

May apples are getting about 3-6in big now so I can't be long! Good hunting y'all

8. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Wood county is starting, found 9 grey's today in a couple hour hike. All micro climates, bottom lands and creek beds. morels.jpg morels2.jpg morels3.jpg

9. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Of course I didn't pick any way to small, will see them Wednesday after the rains lol.

10. nutsak

nutsak Morel Connoisseur Sponsor

Wanted to let you guys know that we are now starting to find over here in Kentucky.

Every is 2 week - 2.5 weeks behind normal season.

Best of luck this year. Hope this info help you guys out.

11. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

Same findings here. Found some really small greys last week, didn't grow a whole lot up until last weekend. Hoping to find them above the leaf litter this weekend. I was looking at pics from last year, in my area I was finding monster yellows on April 22, and the season was just about over around the 25th. Hope we keep having moderately cool temps and rain to kick things off and keep them around for 2-3 weeks or else well be looking at a short season.

12. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Yup, I was tempted to hit it today after work but I know the cloud cover and humidity will keep them from burning until I can take my 4 year old girl for the first time, along with my mother of 65 who I go with every year. I'm just the spotter and date setter this year lol.

13. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

PB, I do the same thing. If I know its going to be cool, no sun, humid then I just wait. No point in going just yet. I'll probably do a spot check on my patch tomorrow to see how they're doing.

14. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

I took a quick walk today after work and still didn't see much. Some of the ones I spotted sunday have only grown about an inch. I think I'm going to hit it sunday, warm temps and a little rain should have the yellows popping by then.

15. MushroomWillie

MushroomWillie Young Morel

I’m very new to this. Found my first ones last year and am trying to find some new patches this year. Found 10 yesterday. Enough to make a nice addition to dinner. Only found 2 today and one was burnt up and dried out. Hoping to figure out better places to check to increase my odds.

Attached Files:

bongohunter and (deleted member) like this.
  16. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

So I hit it hard on Saturday and Sunday. A lot of the shrooms I had found earlier last week hadn't grown much at all. Most if not all of them were smaller/immature/deformed. Looks like the growing conditions weren't ideal. I ended up with around 70-80 decent mid sized morels and only took them because of the hard frost forecasted (and we got it) last night. Forecast looks dry and moderately warm this week. So not much help in the way of weather.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    1 person likes this.
  17. eggbo

eggbo Morel Enthusiast

Picked 4 grays yesterday evening out of patch that we picked a few a week ago. They grown a couple inches and were 3-4" tall. Left several ng they grow a bit more Only patch that I have ran across so far. Found in Lewis county.

18. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

Nice, I haven't been back out yet but going to hit it after work tomorrow. The canopy is almost full green in wood county and my bottom lands stay wet this close to the Ohio river.

19. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

I hit it for a couple hours today. The ground is extreamly dry and anything above the leaf litter was dried out/sun burnt. Took 11 home with me and when the rains hit I think the big yellows will follow. This is going to be my latest year ever, might be good and might be bad for the flushes.

20. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

It's is definitely dry out there. There's some moisture in the soil, but the air has been dry and most of the shrooms I've seen haven't been able to explode in growth like years past. It's definitely been a weird year, but I think I've said that every year in the past 5. Each year is different, and this has been more of the same. I'm headed out today to see if I missed any last weekend that may have reached maturity by now. Hoping the rain this weekend sends some flushes my way, and as much as I hate to say it my neck of the woods may be past prime if not.