WV Morels 2019

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by mbdola, Mar 20, 2019.

1. sarahaliff

sarahaliff Young Morel

I've been lightly checking over the last week in Fayette County. High and low. The greenbriers are nice and full of leaves, I saw the centipede that usually signifies that it is time, but the lack of rain is really hurting things. The storm we were suppose to get just blew to the north of us so we won't be getting any rain according to the forecast. I'm going to head down to bluewell area tomorrow an I'm hoping with all of the natural springs and creeks I'll get lucky and find some. The last few years have been really rough. This year the temps have been perfect, but without rain I'm not sure how it's going to turn out. Happy hunting everyone.

Ive stalked this forum for years, and hardly ever look at it on my pc where I am logged in. You guys are amazing :)

2. pbwv

pbwv Morel Connoisseur

No luck Thursday. red buds and dogwood in full bloom, fiddleheads starting to uncurl and spotted a few devils urns and 1 scarlet cup. The ground was too dry here as well but it's close, going to check another spot today and see if there is anything above the leaves yet.

3. rotorhead

rotorhead Morel Enthusiast

BB3E7A66-0395-4F58-80FB-CE7DCE42B01F.jpeg 14DD4741-6AA7-4258-9376-28D6C6B86116.jpeg Went out with my daughter again in Morgantown, Monongahela county. This is my early spot I posted about on 4/9. There were more morels than I’ve seen in past years in this location however most were too small. We picked 19 of the biggest ones and will give the others another week. Good luck folks!

4. mbdola

mbdola Morel Connoisseur

I hunted one of my spots yesterday. I brought home about a dozen nice egg sized greys. I found a lot of small fresh greys poking through. I also found a few half frees and a handful of tulip morels.

Headed out to my biggest producing patch of woods this afternoon. GOOD rain the last 24 hours and its cooled off a bit so everything should be primed for a flush.

This season, just like every season, has been weird and hard to pin down. I know in my neck of the woods its early on but just an hour or two south in some places it looks like they are finding flushes of mature greys and yellows. Then a county left or right and they havent found any yet. Lots of macro climates at play this year, but I would say with the rain and consistent temps weve had everyone should be finding them this week. Gonna make for some good Easter dinners!!!!

Speaking of, I put my first batch in the skillet last night, got distracted by the dang kids. Walked back into the kitchen and burnt them :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  5. bongohunter

bongohunter Young Morel

First time forum user of any kind. Moved to Ona, WV from WI last June. Looking forward to maybe finding some morels here! Went out last night (15 acres behind my house) didn't find anything. Turkey hunted this AM, no turkey or shroom.

Anyone ever find morels in the Barboursville/Milton area? Thanks

6. Wvlandsurveyor

Wvlandsurveyor Young Morel

Hey neighbor. I live in Ona also, I’ve lived here a few years now and I only have one spot that has produced year after year. I’m in the woods almost every day working, and somehow the most I have found has been close to target and Home Depot.

bongohunter and (deleted member) like this.
  7. bongohunter

bongohunter Young Morel

Small world! Thanks for the feedback

1 person likes this.
  8. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

If you don't mind me asking. What did you put on those before you fried them? They look delicious.

9. Abiding_Dude

Abiding_Dude Morel Enthusiast

C959FFA0-3708-4B5A-9828-D2015958254B.png E9C91E40-9A20-42A0-B367-8060A12896CA.jpeg Hit one of my spots that usually produces in early May just for shiggles and found this little guy leading the charge. Yesterday, the turtle abides lol

10. Abiding_Dude

Also, it’s a shame what’s happening to our woods around Morgantown. Damn homeless and meth heads are ruining what used to be prime grounds everywhere. I can’t even take my kids out for fear of them trippin over refuse or f’n used shake and bake labs. Glad I ran into a sheriff yesterday goin to check out one of the spots. I don’t even take my wallet with me anymore and I’m about to start packin heat

11. Abiding_Dude

Hit another little spot today and finished out my mess. Looks like it’s gonna be a fun year ladies and gentleman

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  12. brian

brian Morel Enthusiast

found 50, mainly blondes, mediums size. first time out this yr. northern kanawha co. old reliable spot,,yum,yum, ill try posting pics later. its on now

Kbshroom likes this.
  13. eggbo

eggbo Morel Enthusiast

From Lewis county Saturday and Sunday about 2 dozen. IMG9508611[1].jpg

14. eggbo

eggbo Morel Enthusiast

Hoping to get out some more this week. Good luck everyone.

15. HawkeyeMerkels

HawkeyeMerkels Morel Connoisseur

Some nice Easter Finds! Thanks for sharing pic, & G'Luck to You too!

16. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

My sister lives in Charles Town WV and she found over 100 yesterday. She tells me that the old timers are saying that this is the best it has been in years for the number of fruit. I live in Charlotte, NC, and our season ended about a week ago. I may have to head up to the Eastern Panhandle in next few days to make up for the lackluster year I had here.

1 person likes this.
  17. Abiding_Dude

831289E1-38DF-42A2-A2FC-3222C1CEB095.jpeg 9228E721-1620-4F43-B600-AF56B6E9780E.jpeg Little patch I checked out had more in it than I’ve ever found before in that spot. Front and back views. Have a good weekend and be safe. Don’t forget about turkey hunters bein in the woods

2 people like this.