WyoMorels2014

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by butchbob, May 6, 2014.

1. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

First black morels of the season today just a stone's throw from the Wyoming portion of the Black Hills. Looking forward to a very productive season!

2. michigander in wyoming

michigander in wyoming Young Morel

Hi butchbob. new to Newcastle, WY. what type of area should I be searching in? thanks

3. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

M-I-W: I'd go east towards Jewel Cave or north towards Four Corners and look for the transition zone from Cedar/Juniper to Pine with a few Aspen/Birch/Spruce. If you are in the sage or Buckbrush/Mahogany you need to climb in elevation. Sandstone and Limestone soils should produce best in your area. A few yellow/grey down there, but mostly black morels. We found little to nothing in the big burns north of Newcastle last year.

4. michigander in wyoming

michigander in wyoming Young Morel

thanks so much butchbob, really appreciate your help! will post if I ever find any. Nice to have a place to start anyway.

5. wheatland

wheatland Young Morel

I'm from Wheatland. I found my first morel this morning in my yard. It was huge! Researched it and now that I know what it is, how to cook it, and now go find more.

6. doublel

doublel Young Morel

Hello from glendo :) we went out today and found 50. One was huge. Hope you all are having a good season!