Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Yellow Oysters?

Tags
morels oyster
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Nijit 
#1 ·
Ingredient Food Dish Cuisine Perennial plant
Dish Ingredient Plant Cuisine Food
Found in Gov. Dodge park in Dodgeville. They look to be yellow oysters to me but I wanted to try & verify. Found on the ground whilst hunting morels. They seem to have fallen from a nearby tree, taking the moss base with them... seemingly they got too big & heavy for that base to support their weight (sorry, didn't look to see what type of tree). Gills run from the edge of the cap right down the stem to the base. Big cluster of them, weighing a little over a pound. Honestly, when I did a web image search of "yellow oyster mushroom" it looks exactly like all the hits I got. Sauteed 2 small ones and they were delicious- tasted like oysters should... but I'm a chef and not a mycologist so I thought it best to check. Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 ·
View attachment 7815 View attachment 7816 Found in Gov. Dodge park in Dodgeville. They look to be yellow oysters to me but I wanted to try & verify. Found on the ground whilst hunting morels. They seem to have fallen from a nearby tree, taking the moss base with them... seemingly they got too big & heavy for that base to support their weight (sorry, didn't look to see what type of tree). Gills run from the edge of the cap right down the stem to the base. Big cluster of them, weighing a little over a pound. Honestly, when I did a web image search of "yellow oyster mushroom" it looks exactly like all the hits I got. Sauteed 2 small ones and they were delicious- tasted like oysters should... but I'm a chef and not a mycologist so I thought it best to check. Thanks for your help.
Yep, look like golden or "yellow" oysters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.